Whether there is someone you just don’t want to find you online or someone you added as a friend that is harassing you, there may come a time when you will want to block someone on Facebook. As part of its extended privacy and security policies, Facebook makes it easy to block just about anyone.
Set Up a Limited Profile
- Go to the “My Privacy” page after you log on to Facebook.
- Click on the “Limited Profile Settings” link. You will see a preview of your profile along with a list of all the shared features.
- Choose the profiles features you want to share on your limited profile. You may also decide which photos albums you want to share. Don’t forget to click “Save” when you are finished making changes.
- Add friends to your limited profile network by listing their names in the limited profile box. You can only add confirmed friends to the list.
Block a User on Facebook
- Log on through the Facebook home page and head to the “My Privacy” page (see Resources below). You can change privacy levels for almost every Facebook feature from this page.
- List the person you want to block in the “Block People” box on the My Privacy page and click “Search.”
- Browse through the results to find the person you want to block. The more common the name, the more people you will need to search through.
- Click the “Block Person” link for the person you want to block. The person will no longer be able to see your profile, and you will not turn up in the person’s search results.
Tips & Warnings
- If a user has sent you inappropriate messages or is harassing you, simply block them for complete privacy. They will not even see your name in searches.
- If you know the full name of the person you want to block, it will be easier to search for him or her. Use the advanced search and filter features to lessen the number of people you must search through. Visit the FAQs for more tips on searching for people on Facebook (see Resources below).
- When you block a person, you cut all ties (friends, details and comments) with the person. Deleting the block does not automatically restore the friendship. You must send another request to them to be friends.